Sparrow Hospital Visiting Student Elective Scholarship Program
Students Underrepresented in Medicine
• Promote Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at Sparrow Hospital
• Offer scholarships up to $1000 for Medical Students in traditionally underrepresented racial/ethnic groups
• Scholarships can be utilized for travel, housing, meals, and other expenses
Sparrow Hospital’s Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program is committed to the support and promotion of diversity, equity and inclusion as we train the next generation of OB physicians. We believe that our patients are best served by a group of physicians that reflect a level of diversity like the patients in our care. This strength/GYNens both the relationships with the communities that we serve and provides the most effective and highest quality of medical care.
In order to further promote greater diversity, equity and inclusion in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and to enrich our applicant pool, the Sparrow Hospital Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency and the office of Graduate Medical Education is proud to offer individual $1000 scholarships for medical students that come from traditionally underrepresented racial/ethnic groups. This scholarship may be utilized for travel, housing, meals, and other expenses related to time spent on this two to four week OB/GYN elective at Sparrow Hospital. This scholarship will be provided based upon successful completion of the rotation and after submission of appropriate documentation of incurred expenses up to $1000.
Specialty/Residency Clerkship Details:
Your time at Sparrow Hospital for this 2-4-week rotation will include:
To be added
- Students must currently be in their 3rd year of medical school applying for 4th year electives
- Students much be in good academic standing at an LCME accredited U.S. Medical School or COCA accredited U.S. Osteopathic Medical School
- Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Students must come from a background that is traditionally underrepresented in Obstetrics and Gynecology - which is defined as the following races/ethnicities:
o African American
o Native American
o Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian
- Students must reside a minimum of 60 miles from Lansing, Michigan.
The following are required for consideration of the Visiting Student Scholarship Application:
• Students should submit to Sparrow Hospital a visiting rotation application through VSAS with all institutional requirements completed.
• Send the following to the _Specialty/Residency rotation director- NAME at email address with subject line “Sparrow _Specialty/Residency Visiting Student Elective Scholarship Program”
o A Letter of Interest (no more than 400 words) in which you describe a bit about yourself, reasons behind your interest in Specialty/Residency, and career goals that you may have.
o A copy of your current CV
A confirmation email will be returned to inform you that your information has been received.
The deadline for the scholarship application is XXX, 2022. Scholarships will be offered for 4th year medical students rotating between July 1st and November 30th, 2021 (see specific dates below). Applications will not be considered until VSAS has been properly submitted and your letter of interest has been received by the Specialty/Residency Clerkship Director. Sparrow Hospital’s office of Graduate Medical Education will offer some guidance in arranging housing accommodations for this 4-week rotation. Decisions on scholarship will be made by June 30thst with notification provided via email.
Recipients will be selected by the Sparrow Graduate Medical Education Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee comprised of residents and faculty.
Available dates for the 2021-2022 academic year:
We thank you for your interest in Sparrow Hospital’s _Specialty/Residency elective and look forward to hearing from you.